Nowadays domains are incredibly important for any business so our platform allows you to customize it.
An important part of setting up your own domain is creating a CNAME record.
CNAME is a type of a DNS-server record that maps your domain name to another one.
For example, demo.navixy.com has a CNAME pointing to saas.navixy.com.
When we go to demo.navixy.com the name will get resolved as saas.navixy.com in the background and we will receive contents and IP of saas.mavixy.com instead.
This way you can have several aliases for a single domain.
CNAME setup is relatively easy and most domain registrars provide DNS configuration options.
Here are configuration instructions for 2 most popular registrars:
- Login to your GoDaddy account from the GoDaddy home page
- Click the ‘Launch’ button next to domains, You may have to click the ‘My Account’ link if you don’t see the domain options
- Click on the gear icon for the domain you are going to use
- Select Domain Details in the menu
- Click the DNS Zone File tab
- Click Add Record
- Select CNAME
- In the two boxes enter the following information:
Points To: saas.navixy.com
then press Save
- Click on “Save Changes” toward the top right
- Log in to your account at www.enom.com
- From the drop-down menu at the Domains tab, select My Domain. You’ll be directed to the Manage Domains page.
- Click the domain that you’d like to use with Google Apps.
- Click Host Settings.
- To add a CNAME record, click NEW ROW. If you’ve already created a CNAME record for the address, simply edit the existing CNAME record.
- Enter the first part of the address that you picked as your custom domain. For example, if you picked my.contoso.com as your address, enter my for step one.
- As the host name, enter saas.navixy.com.
- Click Save.
If you have set up a CNAME but it doesn’t work or you aren’t sure, there are several ways to check the correctness of settings.
Ping your domain. CNAME is an alias so your domain should be resolved into saas.navixy.com
The correct outcome will look like this
If you see a different name or IP – it means that current settings are wrong.
- DNS check
There are plenty of free sites like mxtoolbox.com or dnschecker.org that allow you to view your current DNS server settings.
Specify your domain and select CNAME record type. Returns should look like this
A different domain or an error stating that no CNAME records were found means that there is an issue with current settings.
- Other DNS settings
CNAME records have some restrictions, most important ones are:
– The domain you are using should have no other DNS records types (e.g. MX, A)
– There shouldn’t be any MX or NS type records pointing to the domain you plan to use.
The existence of such records can be checked on your registrar’s site or by using services mentioned in DNS check