When you first create your ServerMate Trial account, you get the url like http://*****.navixy.com. However, you certainly want to run it on your own domain name. It’s actually quite easy to setup and below we will show you how to do it.
What do I need to setup my domain?
Suppose you own a domain company.com and you want its third-level subdomain my.company.com refer to user Web-interface. Two steps you need to accomplish:
- Create CNAME record on your DNS server pointing to the Navixy server. CNAME record is an alias to domain. After you get this done, your domain (e.g. my.company.com) will always point to User web interface. For more information and examples how to configure CNAME record please read below.
- Set your domain name in Admin panel. Login to Navixy Admin panel, go toSettings > Domain and set the domain you need (e.g. my.company.com). Please do not change this parameter before you finish Step 1 and get your CNAME record ready to use.
How do I configure CNAME record?
If you run a website on your domain, you certainly have a Domain Name Service (DNS) which handles all requests to your domain name. All you need is to access its configuration and add new CNAME record, pointing to:
- saas.navixy.com for EU server.
- saas.us.navixy.com for US server.
If you do not know which server to use, look at the address of the admin panel: panel.navixy.com or panel.us.navixy.com
- Primary DNS service must be enabled and you need to have access to edit domain zone. Usually registrars (or hosting provider which serving your zone) give access via web interface to edit zones.
- Secondary DNS service must be also enabled, but usually editing the zone on secondary server is not required.
- Domain level you choose by yourself, but we recommend to use third-level domain. Second-level domain usually serves your company’s site and cannot be used for anything else.
Once you’ve modified your DNS records, it may take up to 24 hours for them to update worldwide. You can check the status of your CNAME records with the PING command or with DNS lookup services (like this one).
Below we gonna show how to create third-level domain by the example of some the most popular domain registrars: Go Daddy and Enom.com. As example we use domain company.com and subdomain is my.company.com.
Example 1. GoDaddy
- Login to your GoDaddy account from the GoDaddy home page
- Click the ‘Launch’ button next to domains, You may have to click the ‘My Account’ link if you don’t see the domain options
- Click on the gear icon for the domain you are going to use
- Select Domain Details in the menu
- Click the DNS Zone File tab
- Click Add Record
- Select CNAME
- In the two boxes enter the following information:
Points To: saas.navixy.com
then press Save
- Click on “Save Changes” toward the top right
Example 2. Enom.com
- Log in to your account at www.enom.com
- From the drop-down menu at the Domains tab, select My Domain. You’ll be directed to the Manage Domains page.
- Click the domain that you’d like to use with Google Apps.
- Click Host Settings.
- To add a CNAME record, click NEW ROW. If you’ve already created a CNAME record for the address, simply edit the existing CNAME record.
Enter the first part of the address that you picked as your custom domain. For example, if you picked my.gdemoi.ru as your address, enter my for step one.
As the host name, enter saas.navixy.com.
- Click Save.
Question 1. How do I ensure that my domain name works?
After you make your changes and save DNS configuration, it might take up to several hours (normally about 4 hours) before new settings will be applied worldwide. To ensure you have done it correctly, please check that you can ping your domain and it resolves as saas.navixy.com (184.108.40.206) with a PING command (in a few hours):
You should see something like this:
PING saas.navixy.com (220.127.116.11): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=0 ttl=56 time=37.169 ms
64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=37.189 ms
64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=36.705 ms
64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=36.529 ms
That means your new domain set correctly and you can now proceed with Step 2 and change domain name in Navixy Admin panel.
Question 2. Can I use two or more domains with same ServerMate account?
No, it is not possible. Once you set up own domain, the *.navixy.com URL used by default in your trial version (i.e. 1234.navixy.com) won’t work. You either can’t assign two or more your own domains to the same Navixy ServerMate account (but you can do domain forwarding on your side).