Teltonika FM1202 is tightly integrated with this software platform.
The software platform supports automatic device activation by sending SMS commands, which includes all parameters in one command, applying APN settings, server address and port, as well as recommended tracking mode. These SMS commands can be sent in two formats:
- Binary format (recommended) – one SMS to configure multiple parameters
- Text ASCII format – one SMS to configure one parameter only
Binary format is recommended because it requires less messages to send from platform to device. When using binary format it is just 2-3 SMS to send, and in text format it’s more than 20 messages in total. However, depending on the SMS gateway and GSM operator binary SMS can not be delivered, and it requires to use Text messages.
Before the activation process please make sure that your device is switched ON and is located in the place with good GPS signal reception. You also need to keep the device with initial factory settings, in particular:
- Do not set any password, keep them clear (as by default)
- Do not set any master number prior to the device activation
- Do not set local Time zone, it must be UTC+0h (as by default)
If you experience issues with the SMS delivery from the platform to device in your country, you can setup device manually by using Teltonika Configurator software.
Setup with Teltonika configuration software
First step you should make is to install Teltonika FM1202 drivers. Please make sure that your PC meets the following requirements:
and then download Virtual COM Port drivers from Teltonika website http://avl1.teltonika.lt/downloads/FM11/vcpdriver_v1.3.1_setup.zip
1. Install drivers:
- Extract and run VCPDriver_V1.3.1_Setup.exe. This driver is used to detect FM1202 device connected to the computer.
- Click ‘Next’ in driver installation window.
- Setup will continue installing drivers and will display a window about successful process at the end.
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete setup
2. Update the software:
Connect FM1202 to PC with the USB cable. Launch “Firmware Updater”, select COM port to which device is connected, click connect, and when IMEI and Firmware version fields are filled, start the update.
Device needs some time to send IMEI and Firmware version, so do not be afraid if IMEI will not show up immediately, disconnect and after 1-2 minutes try to connect again. Update process may take up to several minutes.
Please note that in the latest firmware Teltonika added support of LV-CAN, so to use it you will have to upgrade
3. Run the Teltonika Configurator software
Configuration process starts from starting FM1202 Configurator program and then connecting to FM1202 device via Connect button located on the top left corner of configurator.
If connected successfully IMEI, Version fields which were empty, now are filled with certain numbers depending on Modem IMEI and firmware version of your device.
FM1202 has 2 configuration modes: Recommended Configuration and Advanced Configuration. Recommended Configuration mode uses predefined data acquisition values. In this configuration mode it is only required to enter network parameters.
In Advanced Configuration mode FM1202 is more configurable. FM1202 Configurator is divided into main areas: 1 – main button area, 2 – information area, 3 –settings menu, 4 – parameters and values menu, 5 – information about connection. Button 6 is used to change between configuration modes.
Main Buttons description:
- ‘Connect’ – connects device
- ‘Load’ – reads configuration parameters from FM1202 Flash memory.
- ‘Save’ – saves configuration parameters to FM1202 Flash memory.
- ‘Load Defaults’ – loads default FM1202 settings that later can be modified. This procedure must be performed before entering new parameters.
- ‘Save to File…’ – allows user to save currently entered settings to .XML file, for later usage.
- ‘Load from File…’ – allows user to load configuration saved in .XML extension file.
- ‘Reset device’ – reboots FM1202 and displays processor firmware version.
Additional Buttons description:
- ‘SIM PIN’ – allows to enter PIN code if inserted SIM card has activated PIN code security.
Note that PIN code can be entered 2 times.
- ‘Add Keyword’ / ‘Change Keyword’ / ‘Switch Security Off’– buttons are used to protect configurator from unauthorized access to configuration.
Keyword is 4 – 10 symbol length. If keyword is set, every time user reconnects FM1202 to USB port, user will be asked to provide valid keyword when connecting FM1202 to configurator.
User is given 5 attempts to enter keyword. After entering valid keyword, counter resets to 5.
If user disconnects FM1202 using ‘Disconnect’ button and does not disconnect from USB port, after reconnecting using ‘Connect’ button, configurator does not ask for keyword.